|Target group:||> 500 kids and teens|
|Funding:||BMZ, private donators, TOOLS FOR LIFE Foundation|
|Period:||09.2016 - 09.2017|
With this project TOOLS FOR LIFE helps sending out a volunteer on behalf of the “School for Life” association in Columbia. Mathis Brinkmann (18) from Kelkheim is volunteering within the national government´s weltwärts-program. The projects of “School for Life” are directed towards penniless children and adolescents in the Cali region. Cali is the 3rd biggest city in Columbia. Many of the kids there are refugee children (civil war for more than 50 years) who are threatened by gang crime and violence. His job: at a school in Cali he will work on a sports and leisure project for kids. Focus will be education and personal development as these children´s everyday life is ruled by violence, drugs and criminality which are obstacles to their future. The national ministry for economic cooperation and development (BMZ) funds 75% of the sending. The remaining 25% are financed by a donor pool. TOOLS FOR LIFE supports Mathis Brinkmann with 1.000 EUR. Read more about Mathis' experiences and news about the project on his blog.
The School for Life foundation with headquarters in Frankfurt a. M. was founded in 2003. The objective is to establish and run education projects like schools and training workshops. Within 10 years all projects should finance themselves. The kids and adolescents should learn basic school knowledge and personally develop in order to make changes in their home country. Since 2008 School for Life has sent up to 40 volunteers from Germany to Columbia. This happens with the Weltwärts-program, which was founded by the ministry for economic cooperation and development (BMZ). The BMZ covers 75% of the cost for the stay. The total cost is 10.000 Euros. The 25% remaining are financed by the sending organization (School for Life). The volunteer also has the possibility to raise the 25% with donations.